Relocating to a new home can be very stressful for everyone involved. In the midst of the boxes, crates, packing tape, and moving vehicles, one thing might slip your train of thought are your pets. The fact is, pets feel stress just as humans do. As such, it’s important to make sure you take the right steps in making the transition a safe and smooth one for not only the humans in the family, but for your furry friends as well. Read for some helpful times on how to make your pet’s moving process a bit easier and less stressful.
Here Are a Few Ideas to Help Your Pets Handle the Moving Process:
- As you near your move date, continue your pet’s regular routine. Continue to feed them and play with them as normal.
- Make a visit to the vet the day before your move. Ensure that all vaccinations are current, especially rabies. Make sure to have a full supply of any needed medications. Ask your veterinarian for suggestions on moving the animal.
- Always keep an ID and collar on your pet during the move. Be sure to list names and phone numbers his owners can be contacted at.
- Bring your pet’s favorite or familiar toy to provide comfort.
- Bring two plastic storage containers, one for food, and a bottle for water. Paper towels, sponges, and plastic bags may also come in handy. Be sure to bring a leash.
- Be sure you are transporting your pet in a safe manner. Provide a blanket to lay on. Never leave any pet in a vehicle unattended.
- Once you arrive at your destination, keep your pet under careful watch for a few weeks. Animals may instinctively try to run.
- Most importantly, make sure your children know you are there to listen to their concerns and fears.
Pet-Proofing Your New Home
In addition to helping your pet handle the moving process, you should also make sure to take steps in pet-proofing your home. Tuck away cords, plug up nooks that could cause your pet to get stuck, ensure that windows are secured by screens, and remove any poisonous houseplants. Additionally, you should confirm that no pest-control poison traps are left unattended anywhere in your new home. For more helpful tips on how to make your pet’s move smooth and stress-free, contact us for more information. You can reach the moving experts at Summit Moving & Storage by calling (713) 623-1444.